Hypothyroid Self Test
This is NOT a medical diagnosis, but a useful self-test to determine if you may have either Hypothyroid, or Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. The method used by Dr. Broda Barnes, along with considering these symptoms below, is taking your body temperature before getting out of bed in the morning. If your temperature is averages below 97.8 degrees* (37 degrees celsius), and you have a preponderance of symptoms below, your metabolism is certainly not functioning at optimum. If you are being treated for Hypothyroid or Hashimoto’s, a low body temperature is an indication you are not yet corrected adequately. (or you may need to start eating more of the right kind of foods to raise your temperature and start your metabolism working properly.) You may still have blood tests that do not indicate that you are hypothyroid. To learn more about those tests, and what they mean, I recommend reading Stop The Thyroid Madness.
It will make it difficult, if not impossible for you to lose weight until you address that problem. There ARE ways to increase your metabolic rate, but they are not by calorie restricted diets!
Rate the following on a scale of 0 through 5, with 0 being not present, and 5 being severe.
|1. ____ Fatigue
2. ____ Muscle aches and pains
3. ____ Joint pains
4. ____ Fibromyalgia
5. ____ Feelings of weakness
6. ____ Lethargy; loss of interest
7. ____ Memory loss
8. ____ Concentration difficulties
9. ____ Mental sluggishness
10. ____ Low moods
11. ____ Depression
12. ____ Cold hands and feet
13. ____ Sensitivity to cold
14. ____ Tendency toward constipation
15. ____ Weight gain
|16. ____ Low blood sugar/hypoglycemia
17. _____ Menstrual problems
18. _____ Heavy bleeding during periods
19. _____ Repeated colds and flu
20. _____ Skin problems (itching, eczema, psoriasis, acne, or coarse, dry, scaly skin)
21. _____ Do not perspire easily
22. _____ Hoarse voice
23. _____ Feeling of fullness in neck
24. _____ Swelling of the eyelids
25. _____ Hair loss
26. _____ Dry, coarse hair
27. _____ Loss of outer 1/3 of eyebrows
28. _____ I have about as many mental and emotional symptoms as physical ones
Whether or not you have hypothyroid, stress and your mental attitude has a significant effect on your ability to lose weight and keep it off. The Mentabolism Mindset Transformation Program™ will help you reach your weight and optimum health and well-being. * Women who are still menstruating body temperature is typically .5 degrees higher before ovulation.